
New details emerge about drunk driving crash at Montauk art show
カートのアイテムが多すぎます
カートに追加できませんでした。
ウィッシュリストに追加できませんでした。
ほしい物リストの削除に失敗しました。
ポッドキャストのフォローに失敗しました
ポッドキャストのフォロー解除に失敗しました
-
ナレーター:
-
著者:
このコンテンツについて
Witnesses and court documents gave new details yesterday about the alleged drunken driving crash that destroyed paintings and sculpture works at a Montauk art show over the weekend. Nicholas Spangler reports in NEWSDAY that a security guard working an overnight shift at the Carl Fisher Plaza pavilion, Kyle Thomas Pomerantz, told police in a statement that about 3 a.m. Sunday he narrowly missed being struck after hearing "a loud crashing noise directly behind me. ... I rolled out of my chair to my right, at which time I saw a gray colored SUV barreling towards us."
At the wheel, according to police, was Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, 23, of Farmingville, charged with driving while intoxicated and six counts of reckless criminal mischief after allegedly driving into the pavilion and hitting tents in which artwork was being stored overnight, causing an estimated $151,045 in damage, according to charging documents.
According to Pomerantz's sworn statement to police, De Souza told him she and another woman, her passenger in the Nissan Rogue, had just left the Surf Lodge, a nightlife hot spot on nearby Edgemere Street. Pomerantz told police he felt lucky to be alive.
"I thought we were going to be struck and we would be dead," he told police.
East Hampton Town police reportedly visited the Surf Lodge on Monday to review security camera footage.
John Papaleo, an art fair organizer and EMT said the SUV "hit it so hard the barrier ended up 100 feet away. The post it was connected to was ripped completely out of the ground."
The SUV continued past a gazebo in the middle of the pavilion and stopped near Pomerantz’s Toyota Tacoma, Papaleo said.
Papaleo said the crash would devastate the artists whose work was ruined.
He said dozens of artists were affected, including many who live on Long Island.
Papaleo said the Montauk Artists Association, which sponsored the art fair, still hopes to hold an August event at the pavilion, though the group's leaders will consult with town officials over safety. He hopes the area can be made more secure but not fortified. "It's a park — you don't want it to look like a prison," he said.
A spokesman for East Hampton Town Supervisor Kathee Burke-Gonzalez said that she and town public safety officials at a meeting tomorrow "will be reviewing this incident, and what further steps may be appropriate."
***
The Shinnecock Nation, in an elevation of its discord with the Town of Southampton, has made three formal requests, including a public demand, that its official tribal seal be removed from the town hall's main meeting room. Mark Harrington reports in NEWSDAY that at a town board meeting last week, Shinnecock vice chairman Lance Gumbs made the request after he said the town ignored two letters from chairwoman Lisa Goree for the seal’s removal. The move follows a series of legal challenges by the town against the tribe. The seal has been on the wall at the town hall meeting room since 2008.
"It is clear that there is great disdain in this town for the Shinnecock people, the Shinnecock Nation," Gumbs said from the podium, after a resident had questioned the nation’s ownership of its entire 80-acre Westwoods property. (A town councilman made clear to the resident that the Shinnecock Nation owns Westwoods.)
In response, Southampton Supervisor Maria Moore read a letter to Goree drawn up on Tuesday, saying the town "would like the seal to remain in its current place" in town hall.
"We understand and...